Ontario and Québec launch a new joint call for Francophone projects
TORONTO and QUEBEC – The Ontario and Québec governments continue to demonstrate their commitment under the Cooperation and Exchange Agreement with Respect to the Francophonie by joining forces to support projects and initiatives which will promote growth for the Canadian Francophonie. The application period opens today, January 19, and closes on February 16, 2022. Selected initiatives must be implemented between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
Under this interprovincial agreement, both governments are together investing up to $500,000 to support projects developed jointly by Francophone organizations in Ontario and Québec that contribute to life in French in Canada. The joint selection committee will consider projects from all sectors, but priority will be given to initiatives related to economic development, culture, education, and tourism.
“Thanks to this important cooperation agreement, the Ontario and Québec governments reaffirm their determination to work together to strengthen the economic and cultural ties they share for the greater benefit of the Francophones in both provinces,” said Caroline Mulroney, Ontario’s Minister of Francophone Affairs. “The 2021 call for projects was a great success and we look forward to building on this momentum to support the implementation of new projects that will promote synergies and closer ties between our two Francophonies.”
“The excellent collaboration between our two governments demonstrates that the Francophonie is an invaluable asset,” said Sonia LeBel, Québec’s Minister Responsible for Canadian Relations and the Canadian Francophonie. “By acting together to promote a strong, united and committed Francophonie, we are also developing partnerships in many areas. These partnerships have concrete and positive benefits for Francophones, support the vitality of the French language and contribute to closer ties between Québec and Ontario.”
- Applications must be submitted through the Government of Québec website (available in French only). The application period is from January 19 to February 16, 2022. Projects must be implemented between April 1, 2022 and March 31, 2023.
- Franco-Ontarian and Québec organizations must partner to develop an eligible project and create a profile in the partner registry on the Government of Québec website (available in French only).
- The Québec portion of the funding is administered through the government of Québec’s Programme d’appui à la francophonie canadienne (available in French only).
- As announced in the 2021 Budget, Ontario is investing $250,000 annually over three years to support interprovincial projects as part of the Ontario-Québec Cooperation and Exchange Agreement with Respect to the Francophonie.
- The joint selection committee composed of representatives from Ontario and Québec will assess the applications and make recommendations to determine which projects will be supported by both provinces equally.
- 19 projects were jointly funded through the previous call for submissions, which was held between June 9 and July 16, 2021.